Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Mirrisa

 Mirrisa

From 16/11/2018 – 19/11/2018 I been milking for birds at Thangamale Sanctuary, Haputale . Each day I only have bird session in the morning session as mist will come in by noon or rain. Haputale is literally a city of clouds. Usually I would walk around in the town, exploring every corner in the afternoon session.

On 20/11/2018 It was exceptional thick mist. The scenic view from my room balcony change and disappear within seconds. It was also a wet morning, so I decided to move on to a hotter town.

I looked at the tourist map, others tourists that also do backpacking that I bump into along my touring, they did mentioned Mattara. So I am heading there.

Bus from Haputale to Bandarawella at 9,25am 46SLR then continue with another bus from Bandarawella bus station to Welawaya at 10.15am 95SLR. I continue with another bus from Welawaya bus station to Mattara at 3.20pm 250SLR. As I travel the temperature of 14 Celsius from Haputale change to 30 Celsius. The scene of miles of greeneries tea plantation, tea factory, villages , curve and winding narrow road changes to wider road, town , salt pan , beach side. It was a very nice sight seeing journey ride.






I walked mattara bus station, asking around how to get into a guesthouse near the beach. Some tuk-tuk three wheeler offer their help -(of course they hope I hired them). I chase them away cause because they usually charge foreigner with exorbitant rates. I saw a group of chinese man sat on the park. From their outfit and looked , they gives me the expression that they are foreign construction workers from china. I walked over and speak to them in mandarin, asked them how to get into a reasonable budget accommodation . They advise me to go to Mirrisa, they told me the beach is more nicer than Mattara. They direct me to take the bus from Mattara to Mirrisa – 60SLR
Whale watching in Mirrissa season is from Nov – April as the Whales migrate from southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere
This place is worth to go to get the feel of the local livelihood, to see with your own eyes the amount of fishes and variants that they catch from this ocean. Stunning colorful fishing boats are interesting sights there besides many fishes, big, small ,huge size. Fishing boats pull in, men started to gather around it. As soon the fish net is laid down on the ground, weighing the fish, put into the basket and auction began. It is awesome experience to witness so much of happening here.
Some men who can speak some english told me that big fishing boats usually will be out in the sea for two weeks. Their catch is usually big fishes (Tuna) in the deeper ocean. In that two weeks they lives on the boat. The smaller boat will come back daily, their catch are smaller fishes.


Indeed the beach is very beautiful at Mirrisa. The selling points are whale watching and water surfing. Whale watching is not all year round. There are many whale watching tour agents around. As usual they are trains sales makerters they surely says yes yesterday their tour saw blue whale ,sperm whale playfully dance. . doing somersault. However most likely it would be your worst touring experience and you are throwing up due to sea sick. Do read this before you buy whale watching tour


The most worthy experience is to catch the sunset at Mirrisa beach. It is very relaxing and peaceful experience sat on the beach to witness the sunset .

Mirrisa Fisheries Harbor/market

This place is worth to go to get the feel of the local livelihood, to see with your own eyes the amount of fishes and variants that they catch from this ocean. Stunning colorful fishing boats are interesting sights there besides many fishes, big, small ,huge size. Fishing boats pull in, men started to gather around it. As soon the fish net is laid down on the ground, weighing the fish, put into the basket and auction began. It is awesome experience to witness so much of happening here.
Some men who can speak some english told me that big fishing boats usually will be out in the sea for two weeks. Their catch is usually big fishes (Tuna) in the deeper ocean. In that two weeks they lives on the boat. The smaller boat will come back daily, their catch are smaller fishes.























No comments: